Sunday, December 01, 2019

connections via DNA - my Canadian cousin

I have embraced the magic of DNA matching wholeheartedly. Magic?! Yes, for those of us who are passionate about re-creating our family trees it is.

Last night, I spent the evening with dozens of my coworkers, saying goodbye to one of our own as she accepted a transfer to another city, following her joy.

Last year, randomly searching a last name in my DNA matches, I stumbled upon the name of a retired coworker. The match was small, I starred it and left it there. I had gifted my mother and brother a DNA kit as our expressions of DNA vary among siblings, and having my mother test helps narrow down maternal/paternal matches.  When their results came in, I went back to my starred match, and both my brother and mother did - my mother being a slightly stronger match.

DNA cousins.

She was there last night, she has a face that could easily fit in with my Irish family, but she knows of none. She has Forrest splashed all over her family tree - and so this is the link we will explore.  I hope some day to tell her where our Forrests meet. I suspect she is a 6th cousin to my mother, just out of reach of my current research, it spurs me on.

I have made connections and messaged with several DNA cousins, most with a stronger link by genetics - but I worked with her for years, despite a generational difference, we were friends at work, and last night, we wore cardigan sweaters that were the exact same shade of royal blue - of dozens of coworkers, past and present, we were the only 2 sporting this colour.

I have a Canadian cousin now, and one that I am blessed enough to call friend.

A bit more DNA magic.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails