Wednesday, April 22, 2009

yes, more benefits for MOTHERS who breastfeed

i have nursed my son now for 2 years and still going...i know my milk will probably change to colostrum soon and my son may wean, but yes - 2 YEARS and counting!

in any case, i don't always love nursing my son, and often find it a chore, but the benefits, first for him and now for me, are important to me.

i am aware of several of the benefits already - reduced risks for breast, ovarian and cervical cancers, reduced risks for r.a. and osteoporosis, but there are more! i read bbc news a lot as they cover all types of health stories so of course this one caught my attention...

Breastfeeding 'protects mother'

highlights:

"...women who breastfed for more than a year were 10% less likely to develop the conditions than those who never breastfed.
Even breastfeeding for at least a month may cut the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. "

"The latest US study, by the University of Pittsburgh, focused on nearly 140,000 post-menopausal women.
On average, it had been 35 years since the women had last breastfed - suggesting the beneficial impact lasts for decades. "

"...breastfeeding for more than a year cut the risk of high blood pressure by 12%, and diabetes and high cholesterol by around 20%. "

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails